Enrico Magli received the M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from Politecnico di Torino, Italy, in 1997 and 2001 respectively. He is currently a Full Professor with the same university, where he leads the Image Processing and Learning group. His research interests include deep neural networks for visual analysis, compressive sensing, image and video coding, and image forensic. He is an IEEE Fellow, and a co-recipient of the 2011 IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing best paper award. He has published over 70 journal papers and 160 conference papers, with 4500+ citations and an h-index of 33 on Google Scholar. He is founder and President of the ToothPic start-up, which markets products based on camera identification technologies.
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2018-present.
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 2014-2018.
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2010-2015.
- Associate Editor of EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, 2015-present
- Associate Editor of EURASIP Journal on Information Security, 2007-2015
Technical committees and standardization:
- Past Chair of “Multimedia Signal Processing” technical committee of IEEE Signal Processing Society (term 2016-2017). Member of MMSP-TC from 2011 to 2016.
- Member of “Multimedia Systems and Applications” and “Visual Signal Processing and Communications” technical committees of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society.
- Member of the steering committee of the IEEE ICME conference (2016-2017).
- Member of steering committee of the IEEE-EURASIP Summer School on Signal Processing.
- Member of the Italian delegation to the ISO. He has been co-editor of JPEG 2000 Part 11 (ISO/IEC 15444-11: JPEG 2000 image coding system: Wireless).
- Member of the Consultative Committee on Space Data Systems (CCSDS), as representative of the European Space Agency.
He is also actively involved in the organization of conferences and workshops:
- General co-chair of IEEEMMSP 2013 and IEEE ICME 2015.
- Technical Program Co-Chair: ICME 2012, VCIP 2012 and 2014, MMSP 2011, IMAP 2007.
- Area chair: ICME 2017, ICASSP 2017, ICME 2016, ICASSP 2016, VCIP 2016, ICIP 2014, ICME 2011, ICME 2009, ICIP 2018, Eusipco 2018.
- Co-organizer of workshop “Sparsity and Compressive Sensing in Multimedia”, held as an ICME 2016 workshop.
- He has been a keynote speaker at the 9th IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Signal processing, held in Siena, Italy, 2015, and at the Onboard Payload Data Compression Workshop held in Matera, Oct. 2018.
- He is the coordinator of the ICT for Smart Societies M.Sc. program at Politecnico di Torino.
Awards and recognitions
- Elevated to IEEE Fellow, “for contributions to compression and communication of remotely sensed imagery”, from Jan. 2017.
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer for CAS during 2015-2016.
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society 2011 Transactions Prize Paper Award for paper: A. Abrardo, M. Barni, E. Magli, F. Nencini, “Error-resilient and low-complexity onboard lossless compression of hyperspectral images by means of distributed source coding”, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Apr. 2010.
- Best Student Paper Award (3rd place) at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), as senior author for paper “Predictive graph construction for image compression”, by G. Fracastoro and E. Magli, which has been chosen among 1000+ accepted papers.
- 2010 Best Reviewer Award of IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observation and Remote Sensing.
- 2011 and 2014 Best Associate Editor Award of IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology.
- Best Paper Award “Francesco Carassa” in 2011, 2013, and 2014. This is awarded by GTTI (Gruppo Italiano Telecomunicazioni e Teoria dell’Informazione)for the papers of high merit presented at the annual GTTI meeting.
- Top 10% awards: MMSP 2011, MMSP 2013, ICIP 2015 (2 papers).
- Received an ERC Starting Grant (consolidator type) with a project entitled “CRISP – Towards compressive information processing systems” (2011-2016) and an ERC proof-of-concept grant with a project entitled “ToothPic – A large-scale camera identification system based on compressed fingerprints” (2016-2017).
- Member of the team that won the prize for “best 5 ideas” at the European Innovation Academy in 2016 with the ToothPic Authenticate business concept.
Enrico Magli is the instructor for the following courses:
- Statistical Learning and Neural Networks, for the M.Sc. degree in ICT for Smart Societies
- Image and Video Processing, for the M.Sc. degree in Communications and Computer Networks
- Compressed Sensing: Theory and Applications, doctoral level course for the PhD program in Electrical, Electronics and Communications Engineering
He is also contributing to the following courses:
- Elaborazione di Immagine e Video, for the B.Sc. degree in Ingegneria del Cinema e dei Mezzi di Comunicazione